Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Full Moon

I take my son to see the full moon.  One of his favorite books is Goodnight Moon ("In the great green room, there was a telephone..."), and tonight he gets to hang out with the moon a bit before going to bed.  We wave and try to count the stars.  I ask him the moon's name, and he replies, "I don't know," which is the answer I would have given as well.  If it weren't so cold, we'd go for a walk, but it is cold, so we practice our howling.  He's got good pitch, but he needs to work on his volume.  I, on the other hand, can muster the volume, but my tone is a bit crooked . . .  We'll both work on our howls, and someday the coyotes--those masters of the serenade-- will ask us for advice.  In the meantime, I tell my son to say goodbye to the moon: "Goodnight, moon, goodnight."

1 comment: